httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: Vote change...
Date Thu, 31 Aug 1995 12:36:23 GMT

> This is a showstopper compile fix. Vetoing this patch based  on
> "the rules" is childish. It's likely that a collection of patches
> this large will have conflicts. It is the job of the release
> engineer to work through those conflicts.

This vote thing just isn't working guys and it's going to get worse.

It's now being a week and the BSD problem is still not resolved and now
it's going to be at least another week before a working patch sees the
light of day. To be honest, I have no idea how I solve the situation,
do I submit a patch that works on FreeBSD which I assume then becomes
a candidate for the voting procudere. Of course, what'll happen is that
when the voting process starts people will go grab the patch, apply to see
which way they want to vote and then votse against it because it fails
for them. There's no oppurtunity to revise the patch as different people
try it and new problems are found on different platforms.

You're assuming in setting up this structure that submitted patches
actually fix problems without causing other problems on other platforms.
That's just not the case and freezing things this frequently and for such
long periods means that a 2 or 3 line fix takes *weeks* to get accepted and
when it does it's completely untested because it would only just have made it
into the release.

This just isn't working.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul