httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: Votes for 0.8.12...
Date Tue, 29 Aug 1995 20:27:11 GMT

> Paul, I'm not responding to email right now because I'm trying to get some
> Real Work(tm) done, but I personally do *not* think that it's the right
> thing to go ahead with a major rework of the configuration stuff now.  I
> think people here are losing sight of the reason why we have a feature freeze
> on now --- it is to avoid making changes to the code which cause new problems
> while we are trying to chase out the old ones.  So, for instance, imap-points
> doesn't bug me so much --- it's simple, self-contained, and has minimal
> impact on what's already there.
>
> However, a massive rework of the way the conf.h stuff works is *certain* to
> cause such problems, and, for that reason, while I do understand the desire
> for it, I do *not* think it would be a good idea to proceed with this sort
> of thing until after 1.0.  (If you want to get it ready in the meantime, I'd
> appreciate it, but for 1.0, I feel strongly that the right thing is to stick
> with incremental adaptations of what we have).

Hmm, I certainly had no intention of doing this for an immediate release,
but I think this is enough of a mess that it should be fixed before a
"significant" release such as 1.0, it comes back to the discussion of
releases I guess. If 1.0 is pretty close then I'll just wait until after
that to present my changes.

Anyway, this would be something I go away and work on behind the
scenes and I'll present it when it's rock solid on at least the platforms
I have access to.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul