httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: Patches for 0.8.8 to 0.8.11 (fwd) {cosmetic}
Date Tue, 29 Aug 1995 19:05:50 GMT
There are more problems to be uncovered here. A default Solaris install
leaves you needing to get both uname -n & domainname output to get a fully
qualified hostname. Same results with UnixWare. NetBSD and BSDI give you a
fully qualified hostname from uname -n. SVR4. Feh.

Also, we should have some changes for SVR4 from UnixWare soon. I have a
report that accept() fails with errno=22 (protocol error) here after a
clean build of apache 0.8.9. I will evaluate here for Linux & UnixWare
what happens for 0.8.12(x). I assume fixes only for any release from here
to 1.0 (not enhancements).

Paul Richards liltingly intones:

> Ongoing gethostbyname() discussion omitted...
>
> God I hate Solaris. My SunOS 4.1 doesn't say anything about this but
> I wouldn't be surprised if SYSV machines are deprecating it since it
> has it's origins in BSD.
>
> Oh well, how many BSD machines don't have uname? I know FreeBSD. NetBSD
> and BSDI have it in all but very, very early versions. What about
> AU/X, AIX, HPUX and Next?
>
> On a related note, can we have people step forward to be authoritative
> for particular OS's and not release code until we get a report from
> the people working on each OS? We seem to get quite a few bug
> reports for specific platforms and that's probably because things
> are rushing ahead on the platforms the main developers have and
> the other platforms don't get tried until some user who isn't
> tracking every little patch update goes and tries to compile it
> and finds the last X patches don't work on their box.
>
> I'll obviously step forward for FreeBSD, although Brian Tao's probably
> spending more time on Apache than I am personally. If we have such a list
> we can buzz the people for feedback on changes for that particular OS and
> make sure all the platforms move forward together.

chuck
Chuck Murcko	Telebase Systems, Inc.	Wayne PA	chuck@telebase.com
And now, on a lighter note:
Democracy is a form of government that substitutes election by the
incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few.
		-- G. B. Shaw