httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: Patches for 0.8.8 to 0.8.11 (fwd) {cosmetic}
Date Tue, 29 Aug 1995 12:36:29 GMT

> >> and use utsname() instead.  The others
> >
> > Why? Does gethostname not work?
> >
> According to my man-pages; gethostname() should be in the BSD compatibility lib,
> it says a few nasty things, like;
>
> NOTES
>      Use of these interfaces should be restricted to only  appli-
>      cations  written  on BSD platforms.  Use of these interfaces
>      with any of the system libraries or in multi-thread applica-
>      tions is unsupported.
>
> and so on. But it really ought to be OK, as it is in the compat lib.

God I hate Solaris. My SunOS 4.1 doesn't say anything about this but
I wouldn't be surprised if SYSV machines are deprecating it since it
has it's origins in BSD.

Oh well, how many BSD machines don't have uname? I know FreeBSD. NetBSD
and BSDI have it in all but very, very early versions. What about
AU/X, AIX, HPUX and Next?

On a related note, can we have people step forward to be authoritative
for particular OS's and not release code until we get a report from
the people working on each OS? We seem to get quite a few bug
reports for specific platforms and that's probably because things
are rushing ahead on the platforms the main developers have and
the other platforms don't get tried until some user who isn't
tracking every little patch update goes and tries to compile it
and finds the last X patches don't work on their box.

I'll obviously step forward for FreeBSD, although Brian Tao's probably
spending more time on Apache than I am personally. If we have such a list
we can buzz the people for feedback on changes for that particular OS and
make sure all the platforms move forward together.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul