httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aram Mirzadeh <...@luers.qosina.com>
Subject Re: HELP!
Date Sun, 27 Aug 1995 20:14:24 GMT

> Port 80 is a privileged port; you can't bind to it under Unix unless you're
> running as root --- it's an OS restriction, and has nothing to do with Apache
> in particular.  However, the crucial thing is that the server must be *run*
> by root --- who owns the file is irrelevant.
>
> rst

Thank you! I'm not going crazy!  Here is the message I got, he doesn't
seem to agree, insisting that it's 0.8.10.

Maybe we should make this point a little more clear in the docs. Alot
of people who are a little too paranoide, are reading the info the
wrong way.

--- begin ---
>In your httpd.conf file you should have two lines:
>
>Owner   nobody
>Group   #-1
>
>This will switch the owner of the file from root to nobody after the system
>has grabed the port for use.

Hi,

I guess I should have been more clear about this particular point, I don't
run httpd as root, because I already have the above settings in my
httpd.conf file, just as you pointed out.

[stuff deleted]

Steven Fox

/*
**  Steven Fox
**  Director, Electronic Publishing
**  Overseas Connections, Taiwan
**  Professional Internet Marketing and WWW Design for Taiwan
**  http://www.overseas.com.tw/
*/

<Aram>

--
Aram W. Mirzadeh			     http://www.qosina.com/~awm/
MIS Manager	To err is human, to really screw up you need a computer.