httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Aram W. Mirzadeh" <...@qosina.com>
Subject linux problems
Date Wed, 23 Aug 1995 16:36:51 GMT

Okay,

I've traced the linux problems to how apache does it's lookup.  Or rather the
linux networking seems to be doing the network look up.

Here is what I did:

Compiled linux 1.2.8 ( shouldn't mater which 1.2.x) with libc 4.6.27 with it's
module_version installed.

Compiled modules 1.1.87.

Did the following:

# insmod -o dummy0 dummy.o

        This installs a dummy ethernet device as dummy0 like eth0 for ethernet.

# ifconfig 206.64.187.60 dummy0

        Obvious, setup the unique IP number for the device

# route add 206.64.187.60 dummy0

        Setup a static routing for this interface

# arp -s 206.64.187.60 00:00:00:00:00:31

        This is where linux chokes.  It seems this arp entry which the last bit
        is the same as the ethernet HW address is only valid when accessing
        from the same machine.  If you go accross a wire to this IP it get's
        there, but never answers back.   Altough telnet, ftp, ping seems to
find
        there way... somehow.

If you do a tcpdump on the machine running apache and request the .60
address this is what you get:

12:03:25.064754 arp who-has sos.qosinet.com tell guru.qosina.com
12:03:30.064017 arp who-has sos.qosinet.com tell guru.qosina.com

sos.qosinet.com is 206.64.187.60 (the dummy0 interface),  and
guru.qosina.com is 206.64.187.12 which is my machine on the same
network.

So, the question is how does apache make contact and negotiate on a network
level?  If telnet, ftp, and ping all work, why doesn't apache?

But, if I load up NCSA 1.4.2 that responds.  So figure that one out.

FINAL NOTE: It's not apache.  It's Linux, and how it handles it's networking.

<Aram>