httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: page counter module
Date Sun, 20 Aug 1995 11:10:06 GMT

> Hmmm... this effectively implements the "bean count log" which Rob McCool
> brought up on this list ages ago as an idea which had been kicked around
> Netscape.  The only quibble I have with it on that score is that a serial
> search through the entire log is going to start to drag on busy sites;

Depends on how many counters you want. It doesn't count all URLs, but
it does check them. Few people will want to count their GIFs in this
way, that's what the logfiles are there for.

> use of something like DBM might be a better bet.  (I haven't ever counted
> the number of distinct URIs which this site gets requests for on an average
> day, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it in the range of a few thousand).
>
> As to making the counts available to scripts and includes... hoo boy,
> the cache fanciers on HTTP-WG are gonna love *this*.

Hmm, I suppose that if it encourages people to use counters then it
could have a negative overall effect, but if people are shown that they
can use XBITHACK-full to send cache info on counter pages, it'd help.

Unlike the SSI based counters I've seen elsewhere, you aren't forced
to have a counter shown on the page, or any other kind of include. It
could be used for accounting purposes on a subset of pages.

> One final question arises, namely whether to put this in the main
> distribution, or in the contributed modules directory.

contrib for sure.

>                               I guess right now, I'm a +0 on it... (the
> main problem being that it does have the potential to drag down large
> sites that try it...).

If it's used for hundreds of URLs, I'd call it "abuse" rather than "use"..
they should write their own DBM counter.

rob