httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Roy Fielding <field...@beach.w3.org>
Subject Re: nomenclature
Date Sat, 19 Aug 1995 19:40:30 GMT
>Hmm. We don't send the Allow: header, I don't believe, anywhere. But
>glancing over the spec quickly, that's the only thing I see that we don't
>do.

Yep, probably right -- what I left in 1.0 is pretty much NCSA httpd 1.3.

>Well.. there is something that, while it's not really in the spec
>(Appendix A), we've implemnted incorrectly: We should rename
>http/send-as-is to message/http.

Actually, no.  message/http is (or will be) a real MIME type, which
means you wouldn't want to do things like change

into a 302 response code.  Note also that message/http could be a request.

>Also... we're not a proxy server. Does that count?

Nope, you don't have to implement the entire protocol.  In fact, an
HTTP/0.9 server is still compliant.

>Sounds good. When do we change the version number in the status line from
>HTTP/1.0 to HTTP/1.1? At Apache 1.0.1, at 1.1, or at some point in
>between? I'd recommend the third. When we're first mimimally complient
>with HTTP 1.1, we should change it.

I recommend not changing it until you need some feature implemented
that requires all of HTTP/1.1's requirements (i.e., content negotiation,
when done right, will also require the cache notification via URI: ...).

In other words, we can do anything we want in 1.0, but saying 1.1 implies
that we must do certain things exactly as specified (which is a little
difficult when the specification is incomplete).

......Roy