httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "James H. Cloos Jr." <cl...@io.com>
Subject Re: Apache looks for .htaccess
Date Thu, 17 Aug 1995 10:33:18 GMT
>>>>> "David" == David Robinson <drtr@ast.cam.ac.uk> writes:

David> Can I suggest the following be added to access.conf-dist:
David> ----
David> #This stops apache looking for .htaccess files in directories above
David> #your document root. Comment this out only if you want apache to
David> #look for /.htaccess, /usr/.htaccess, /usr/local/.htaccess etc.
David> <Directory />
David> AllowOverride None
David> </Directory>
David> ----

Note that this will disable AllowOverride for the UserDir directories.

That is to say that the DocumentRoot <Directory> configs do not affect
the UserDir directories (unless, I suppose, DocumentRoot were a parent
of the users home directories... :).

ObInfo: 0.8.8 and 0.8.9.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.	Snail:	POBox 18122 Austin, TX 78760-8122   Usenix,SAGE
cloos@io.com		URL:	http://www.jhcloos.com/~cloos/      LPF