httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: Ah, make that 5.3 Re: Apache 0.8.8 can't run a Irix 5.2? (fwd)
Date Mon, 14 Aug 1995 14:43:15 GMT

> Now, another problem (not a bug, really?): I get the errormessage:
>
> httpd: cannot determine local host name.
> Use ServerName to set it manually.
>
> The gethostname() function returns the name of this host "cartes-4", with
> a empty h_alias field in the hostent. True, there are no aliases for this
> host containg a fully qualified name, and I can easely set up some in the
> /etc/hosts, but do I really have to do this? I remember the ncsa httpd
> running w/o any problems on this machine with the same setup..
>
> At least this errormessage could be a bit more enlightening.

Just re-read this, while my other message is still valid (find_fqdn is
still bogus) it doesn't address this particular problem.

Why is there a check for a fqdn in the first place?

Anyway, if DNS is not running then there's no way to get a fqdn in this
situation which is what's causing the error. If NCSA didn't cause this
problem then I guess it didn't check for a fqdn but simply used whatever
the official hostname was, as entered in /etc/hosts.

If DNS is running, then I think h_name will be fully qualified
anyway since you're calling gethostbyname with an unqualified name
and BIND will append the default domain before looking it up. I'd
have to go browse through the BIND code to be sure about this
though.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul