httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: Patches I've seen...
Date Fri, 11 Aug 1995 11:18:13 GMT

> Hmmm... I did list one patch (cn-any-suffix) which I would actually vote 0
> on in a full vote, because it looks to me like an enhancement (and I really
> do think subsequent 0.8.x releases should be just bugfixes --- we should
> start a separate development track for enhancements,

ah, but that's the beauty of the patch and vote system, it needs 3 people
to think it's a worthwhile addition. If it's a bad idea (or too early)
then it can be vetoed for another day. It only gets a positive vote from
people who try it and are happy with it.

The problem with the current system is that few people implement the
patches that appear in the mail. I fear that some of the patches if untested
by a wider audience can do more damage than they attempt to fix. I think
more of us used to download the numbered patches to at least see that
they compiled on different platforms.  Some of them even came with
documentation describing the problem and cure  ;-)

On a related topic, if and when we return to a patch+vote system, I
think it'd be a good idea to disallow votes (other than vetos) from
the patch contributor.

+1 on +1s

rob
--