httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: HP-UX and BSDI mmap()
Date Thu, 10 Aug 1995 10:08:31 GMT

> On the next SELECT or UPDATE, the table region is unmapped and then
> mapped again to ensure the new rows are available to the engine.  This
> works fine on most boxes (SunOS, Solaris, OSF1, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Linux
> 1.3.x etc) but fails on HP-UX and BSDI 2.x (worked on BSDI 1.x).  It
> appears that if you use write() to update a file while it is mapped,
> HP-UX and BSDI get very confused, the result being that the newly written
> data is trashed in a random way.

I'd bet that is a cache coherency problem and the only OS I'd trust
would be FreeBSD since we have a merged vm/buffer cache and coherency
is something we've explicitly fixed.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul