httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: promoting apache
Date Wed, 09 Aug 1995 10:11:19 GMT

> On Tue, 8 Aug 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:

> > http://www.apache.org/images/apache_pb3.gif
> >
> > is nearly half the size and has 14 fewer colours.
> >
> > Looks identical, but I'm colourblind.

> Seems rather garbagy too me, especially around the edges of the C and the
> H.

> I mean... really... does anyone out here *really* care about 1000 bytes
> here or there? I made the 32 color version because Brian had a legitamite
> concern about 256-color displays, but I don't think we should try and
> squeeze it into the smallest file we can for just that reason.

I'm so offended, I'm going to jump off a bridge.. as-if  (*)

Looks fine to me, but the only point of apache_pb3.gif was that you
don't need 32 colours, or even the 18 it uses. Merging close colours
reduces the colourmap significantly, but at little/no loss to the
images. Often it improves the clarity of images. For small images, it's
the colourmap which takes up most of the space.
I got bored when I reached 18 colours, I'm sure it could have been fewer.

As Rob T pointed out, this is all trivial stuff.. not worth arguing or
voting on. The current image is fine, lets just squeeze all the unecessary
colours out if it.

rob

(*) "as-if" is touted to become the next "Not !" catchphrase. It comes
from the movie "Clueless", which I've had no difficulty avoiding so far.