httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: setrlimit() before forking?
Date Wed, 09 Aug 1995 15:22:51 GMT
Brian Tao liltingly intones:

> On Wed, 9 Aug 1995, Eric Hagberg wrote:
> >
> > Portability will bean issue with that call as well... if it gets put in,
> > #ifdef it, ("HAVE_SETRLIM" ?) and #undef it in the AUX-specific section of
> > conf.h...
>
>     I envision additional httpd.conf entries that allow the server
> admin to limit the amount of processes, memory, CPU time, file
> creation size, etc.  This would be especially nice for controlling
> poorly-written or buggy CGI scripts.  Set a reasonable CPU limit on
> them, and the kernel zaps them before they do any real damage.
>
>     What does A/UX use for resource limits?  The setrlimit() call on
> the systems I have here (FreeBSD 2.0.5, SunOS 4.1.3, Solaris 2.4, IRIX
> 5.2/6., AIX 3.2.5) are thankfully consistent, so there shouldn't be
> too much work to make it work on systems that support it.

One additional nit: BSDI 2.0's [get|set]rlimit are broken. I have to use the
old getdtablesize() to find out a valid # of descriptors.

No word of fixes yet from BSDI; perhaps it's time to put in the FreeBSD
versions here. 8^)

chuck
Chuck Murcko	Telebase Systems, Inc.	Wayne PA	chuck@telebase.com
And now, on a lighter note:
The rule on staying alive as a forcaster is to give 'em a number or
give 'em a date, but never give 'em both at once.
		-- Jane Bryant Quinn