httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache 0.8.6 (fwd)
Date Tue, 08 Aug 1995 18:53:59 GMT

> On Tue, 8 Aug 1995, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> > Hi! Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if this used to work or not
> > since I haven't tried it before.
> >
> > What do you think of the concept of "inheriting" directory attributes
> > from parent (and ancestor) directories, unless overidden by a more
> > specific directory directive?
> >
> > Is this (in general) the correct model of how <Directory> directives
> > interact? Or did I make it up somewhere along the line...
>
> That I'm not sure about - I don't remember seeing in the NCSA
> documentation anywhere that *parts* of one <Directory> directive can be
> inherited by a subdirectory's <Directory> directive, which is I guess
> what you're saying.  That may induce some additional overhead on
> .htaccess parsing if it's not already there - I see if anyone has any
> thoughts on the matter.

I've thought about this before. It would be nice, and quite natural to
have a .htaccess file at the root of a tree, say for a particular
client that has pages on your server. Then any hits to areas below
that sub-root would be covered by the one .htaccess file you manage for
that client.

The problem is that the implementation requires that you search every
directory in the path for a .htaccess file and parse every one you find,
which may turn out to be a bit hard on your poor server. The access allowed
when you finally reach the leaf would just be whatever each attribute
is set to after parsing each .htaccess you found on the way.

With some thought solutions could be found, such as cached access
attributes for directories that have already been hit and so forth but
I stopped thinking about it :-)

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul