httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: problem at Cardiff is back
Date Mon, 07 Aug 1995 09:57:29 GMT

> [/tmp/htwhatever.nnnn getting munged]
> > Hmmm... and no one might have done it manually (in the name of
> > housekeeping), I take it...
> >
> > rst
>
> Couldn't the scoreboard be kept in SERVER_ROOT/logs/ or somewhere
> less likely to get bombed by random clean-up code?  I quite like the
> idea of having all the logfiles and conf stuff in the same area.
> Using /tmp for storing status of long running processes grates a bit
> for me.

Uhh, yeah. it's actually pretty bogus to do that. /tmp is for
volatile, short term use and sys admins generally don't setup their
systems to ensure that /tmp always has free space.  That's
what /var is for.

If /tmp fills up apache is screwed. For vi and other apps that use
/tmp it wouldn't be a problem since a temporary lack of resources
wouldn't be just a temporary problem and since long running processes
shouldn't use /tmp space should get freed up quite regularly.

I'd agree with Andy and suggest the logs directory be used since I like
the idea of apache being self-contained.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul