httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: Redirect in .htaccess files?
Date Thu, 27 Jul 1995 14:36:00 GMT
>From: rst@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
>Date: Wed, 26 Jul 95 16:03:57 EDT
>As to votes, you want a vote you got it.  Apache 0.8.2 is presently a
>drop-in replacement for NCSA 1.4.

I think this is the crux of the matter. I do not believe Apache 0.8.2
is a drop-in relacement for (i.e. compatible with) NCSA 1.4, as it is
different on a functional level; i.e. it has a different algorithm for
managing the sub-processes. Thus its config files must be semantically
different. [RobH may be of the same opinion.]

However, it is syntatically compatible with NCSA 1.4 config files, which
is presumably to what you were referring.

I think the only solution is to provide the Apache control parameters
with different names to the NCSA ones, and map the NCSA ones onto those.
e.g. Apache (maybe) has MinFreeServers and MaxFreeServers

If unset, then they default to some function of the NCSA
StartServers/MaxServers. However, I cannot imagine what function to use.

 David.