httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David J. Hughes" <ba...@Bond.edu.au>
Subject Re: namelookups and databases
Date Tue, 25 Jul 1995 22:45:34 GMT

On Tue, 25 Jul 1995, Randy Terbush wrote:

> I've been attempting to shove my log data into Postgres and am
> coming to a sobering realization. It has taken 9 hours to process
> 15,000 requests.....

That's a bit sad.  I'm currently working on a web stats package that
stores the data in an mSQL database (including number of hits/bytes per
page per date, number of hits from each domain per page per date etc).
>From this the stats front end can work through the historical data and
create whatever report is required.

Shoving the data into the database isn't a big problem.  I just parse CLF
logs keeping track of the date/time of the last logged access and go from
there.  Works pretty well  (eg  -HUP the server at 00:01am and ram
yesterday's log down the loading programme).  This is still
work-in-progress but it is looking like a good bit of code.

   __                                  David J. Hughes  -  Bambi@Bond.edu.au
  /  \               /  /   /             http://Bond.edu.au/People/bambi
/   \ /  \ / \ /   /  /   / / \  /   Senior Network Programmer, Bond University
\___/ \__//  / \__/   \__/ /  / /    Qld.   4229   AUSTRALIA    (+61 75 951450)