httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Apache 0.8.2 note
Date Fri, 21 Jul 1995 19:00:34 GMT
On Fri, 21 Jul 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:

> Hmm... there's more detail in the sample Config file itself, regarding
> defaults for each system; was that helpful at all?

No, that was helpful, especially since I knew what I was doing, but I was
tring to look at it from the point of view of someone who had no clue -
i.e. "I've downloaded this web server I've heard is really cool, now
what." A section in the README or INSTALL file detailing exactly how to do
a step-by-step basic install of apache might not be a bad idea.  Another
note, on the subject of ease of installation: you might want to reoganize
the way your FTP server and its mirror (at least) at
ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Web/httpd/Unix/apache_httpd/ works - it's rather
unweidly seeing all those HTML files and not knowing where anything is.
As NCSA's FTP server is rather well-traficked, you might want to clean it
up, place just the distribution and a README file or two.

> Config scripts are a tough issue.  There is a standard package which
> does a lot of neat stuff (GNU autoconf), but it insists on trying to
> determine everything for itself --- which is bad for us, since there
> are some systems (including at least one common one, SunOS), for which
> there is no good universally applicable set of defaults.  The result
> is that people might have to edit the output of the autoconf scripts,
> which is a somewhat intimidating prospect.

Well, speaking from personal experience, I've installed countless numbers
of Unix software on various systems (I administer regularly a HP-UX
machine, a SunOS one and two Linux boxes), and I've only once had to edit
the output from GNU autoconf. Though your concern is certainly
understandable - autoconf is rather indimidating at times.

> Be that as it may, it certainly would be nice to at least have it
> determine what machine it was running on, for common cases, and to
> make the stock config file a little less bloated with common
> defaults...

Agreed.

> Hmmm... the people downstairs do something almost, but not quite, the
> same (/~FOO becomes something like /usr/ftp/users/FOO/public_html).  A
> userdir module which took a template, and plugged the username in
> where the '%' character, say, appeared, would cover both cases...

Yes, that would do nicely.

> It's very useful to have an outside view on these sorts of issues, by
> the way --- thanks.  How is the server itself working for you?

The server itself appears to be working great. It doesn't get very many
hits (a couple hundred a day maybe), but it appears to be fine. All the
features that I've tried to use seem to work, and while I haven't tested
it, it feels nice and zippy. It looks like a good product.

Thanks!