httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.com>
Subject Re: Apache 0.8.2 note [Brandon Long <blong@uiuc.edu>] (fwd)
Date Tue, 25 Jul 1995 21:16:21 GMT

Okay, just getting back into the swing of things on this side...
expect a bunch o' forwards in the next few minutes.  I'll not
forward the messages which have already been answered....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Subject: Re: Apache 0.8.2 note
To: new-httpd@hyperreal.com
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 14:52:08 -0500 (CDT)
From: Brandon Long <blong@uiuc.edu>

Last time, Alexei Kosut uttered the following other thing:

> On Fri, 21 Jul 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:
>
> > Hmm... there's more detail in the sample Config file itself, regarding
> > defaults for each system; was that helpful at all?
>
> No, that was helpful, especially since I knew what I was doing, but I was
> tring to look at it from the point of view of someone who had no clue -
> i.e. "I've downloaded this web server I've heard is really cool, now
> what." A section in the README or INSTALL file detailing exactly how to do
> a step-by-step basic install of apache might not be a bad idea.  Another
> note, on the subject of ease of installation: you might want to reoganize
> the way your FTP server and its mirror (at least) at
> ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Web/httpd/Unix/apache_httpd/ works - it's rather
> unweidly seeing all those HTML files and not knowing where anything is.
> As NCSA's FTP server is rather well-traficked, you might want to clean it
> up, place just the distribution and a README file or two.

At this point, there isn't any automagical mirror of the Apache tree being
done at NCSA.  I just try and update it every time you come out with an
official distribution.

And yes, I did just mirror it exactly, but would be willing to change it
to whatever is suggested.

Brandon

--
 Brandon Long   (N9WUC)     "I think, therefore, I am confused." -- RAW
 Computer Engineering   	Run Linux '95.	It's that Easy.