httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: MaxServers
Date Sun, 30 Jul 1995 18:46:05 GMT
On Sun, 30 Jul 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> To answer the question --- there is a hard limit of
> 150 server processes.  This is not presently configurable; making it
> so would be an easy change, though it would be very unwise to call the
> parameter "MaxServers" (people who set MaxServers low on NCSA 1.4 and
> rely on the forking fallback would be totally screwed).

Howbout something like AbsMaxServers?  The docs could look like this:

	AbsMaxServers is the absolute maximum number of servers that can be
running at the same time.  This is *not* the number of processes always
running - this is a hard limit.  It is strongly recommended that you set this
as large as possible.  The default limit is 150.  This should only be
increased if you run a very busy server and constantly have 150 processes
running, and you know you have the resources to handle more.  It should only
be decreased when you are running lots of different daemons on the same
machine with very limited memory and other resources, and want to protect
them from the web server.  The best thing to do is leave it alone and
experiment with live loads to see if there's any problem setting
AbsMaxServers would fix.

Well?  I agree that it has been a source for people hanging themselves -
I had 60 on www.links.net and after changing it the accesses have
skyrocketed while the number of concurrent procs hovers around 30.  I
wonder what was causing it to be less responsive with the higher number
of servers.... it had plenty of memory, no swapping took place.

	Brian