httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: SSI handlers
Date Tue, 11 Jul 1995 01:38:59 GMT
On Mon, 10 Jul 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> I've thought fairly long and hard about how to come up with an API
> which generalizes all these things, and I can't.  I've then given up on
> 3), decided that anything which was in the DB back-end would need its
> own response handler, and I have a few ideas about how that could work
> (it helps to start distinguishing internal object type from the type
> that will be served to the client, so that you can dispatch on the
> former and do content negotiation on the latter), but it's still quite
> messy (particularly #2 --- what interface do you provide to the
> command stuff)?

I agree with this assessment.  Unlike Cliff, I don't see why the file
access layer has to be 100% abstracted to the API.  One question - what's
the best way to configure things such that accesses to a particular
sub-path are acted upon internally differently?  I.e., if I write a
system where all the URL's sit under

http://host/program/arg1/arg2?arg3

(etc etc), is there a way I can write a module to handle that?  I.e.

http://host/music-database/artist/autechre
http://host/music-database/label/warp
http://host/music-database/search-for?Richard%20H%20Kirk

etc..... where "music-database" is a module?

> Sigh...

Rob, we weren't kidding when we said we'd take you out to dinner next
time you visit SF :)  (this goes for all you other contributors too!)

	Brian