httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: MaxServers
Date Sun, 30 Jul 1995 18:22:33 GMT
   Date: Sun, 30 Jul 1995 11:46:05 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>

   Howbout something like AbsMaxServers?  The docs could look like this:

	   AbsMaxServers is the absolute maximum number of servers
   that can be running at the same time.  This is *not* the number of
   processes always running - this is a hard limit.  It is strongly
   recommended that you set this as large as possible.  The default
   limit is 150.  This should only be increased if...

If people read the documentation and act on this warning, that's
great.  The problem is with people who *don't* read the documentation,
and go on instinct that plays them false...

I'd want to find a name that creates the impression that something
genuinely bad will happen if it's set too low --- perhaps MaxClients
(which it is really --- the maximum number of clients which can
possibly be serviced at once); that may possibly convey the intuition
to people that if you set this too low, clients will be *locked out*.

   Well?  I agree that it has been a source for people hanging themselves -
   I had 60 on www.links.net and after changing it the accesses have
   skyrocketed while the number of concurrent procs hovers around 30.  I
   wonder what was causing it to be less responsive with the higher number
   of servers.... it had plenty of memory, no swapping took place.

Hmmm... I'm not quite sure I get it.  Was this with one of the earlier
versions, which had a fixed-size pool of <n> servers?  If so, it's
probably that the server processes were getting swapped out, and that
was generating unnecessary disk traffic...

rst