httpd-dev mailing list archives

From efr...@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Elizabeth Frank)
Subject Re: Redirect in .htaccess files?
Date Fri, 28 Jul 1995 13:22:40 GMT
While I don't feel it is appropriate for me to vote on
Apache implementation issues, I'd like to encourage you
to make very clear in some fashion that the Apache MinServers
and MaxServers are COMPLETELY different that the NCSA ones.
I don't think a name change is an unreasonable way to highlight
the distinction.  No matter what you decide, I recommend the
creation of a document like

http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/setup/Update.html

in which you highlight either the name change or that these
parameters need to be reset to values appropriate for the
Apache algorithm.

We've had a number of questions about these directives
that indicate a lot of people don't understand how they
work.  As Apache becomes more popular, I suspect the
confusion will grow if the directive names are the same
but the effect on server performance is very different.

		Elizabeth (Beth) Frank
		NCSA Server Development Team
		efrank@ncsa.uiuc.edu