httpd-dev mailing list archives

From efr...@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Elizabeth Frank)
Subject Re: MaxServers/StartServers
Date Wed, 26 Jul 1995 17:26:52 GMT
Another idea is to spawn a single new special child
that just sends 503 messages until the parent tells
it to die.  It should process requests faster than
the other children, and therefore work its way through
the waiting queue.  In the meantime, you're still servicing
at least Maxserver requests.  You end up with Maxserver +1
children running (once the "single request" children finish).

	-Beth Frank
	efrank@ncsa.uiuc.edu

On Jul 25,  4:51pm, Rob Hartill wrote:
} Subject: Re: MaxServers/StartServers

 > > On Tue, 25 Jul 1995, Beth Frank wrote:
 > > > In any event, I suggest that someone test the apache
 > > > server with a low absolute maximum and a high network
 > > > load just to make sure that you don't run into anything
 > > > worse than horrible performance if the absolute maximum
 > > > is set way too low.
 >
 > > Part of the algorithm should be a determination of when to send a "503"
 > > code, indicating the server was just to busy to respond to the request,
 > > and to try again later. Those should be very easy to send (no path
 > > analysis or disk I/O needed).
 >
 > I suppose that'd require all the children switching to a special
 > "answer everything with 503" mode for a time long enough to
 > reduce the "load" (however that is defined). If you spawn new
 > children to answer "503", the others could continue to hog resources,
 > and you gain very little.
 >
 > rob
 > --
 > http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/