httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: possible inconsistency
Date Wed, 26 Jul 1995 09:57:14 GMT
   From: Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>
   Date: Tue, 25 Jul 95 16:06:44 MDT

   With Apache 0.8.2, if the connection times out, the socket gets closed
   gracefully, but the client has no way to know that the document/object
   is incomplete.

   I think that with older code, the process would exit() and the connection
   would break, and this would be enough for the client to realise that
   something didn't go to plan.

   The symptoms for this problem are that clients cache incomplete documents.

Yeah, but, yeah, but...

the few times I've looked at kernel source code, it sure *looked* like
exit() was calling the same internal close() routine as the actual
close() system call.  Whatever is being done differently, that may not
be it...

rst