httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@www.elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Who's using apache?
Date Tue, 25 Jul 1995 21:54:56 GMT
> On Tue, 25 Jul 1995, Andrew Wilson wrote:
> > On a different note, I've done quite a bit of research on who's using Apache
> > and which versions of the server (and other servers) are out there.  The
> > user base is quite big (over 150 .com sites alone) and certainly
> > comprises far more people than are on this list.  There's also evidence to
> > suggest that people using Apache don't keep in step with new releases;  there
> > are quite a few pre-Apache/0.6.5's out there.  It would be nice to maintain
> > Apache's reputation and only release when we've taken a sensible amount of
> > time to review changes.  By which I mean at least another week.
>
> Early next week, then?  Monday?

If it's usable and stable by then, why not.

> I was gone this weekend and am struggling to get back my mail queue...
> ugh.  I don't know what's going to happen when I go on my two week
> honeymoon in September...

Er...  do you want a few pointers?

> Anyways, when we release, it might be nice to run a search of sites out
> there, locate all Apache-using hosts, and notify webmaster@host (or root@host
> maybe?) about the new release.  Maybe we can hit all those using pre-1.4 NCSA
> too :)

Ok, it's easy.  But... we're still talking about a beta here.  Anyone
using late 1.3 early 1.4 NCSA gear is expecting the software to be stable
in terms of releases to follow.  We don't want to have to mail them all
again when the thing mutates 2 weeks from now ;)

I think it's best to be out of the beta-test fog before people start junk
mailing somewhere.com.

People running Apache x.x.x are a different matter.  They'd seem to
be up for just about anything, and might even welcome being kept aware
of new releases and other snippets of info.  Do we have a new-httpd-announce
list yet that they can subscribe to? [no, I NEVER read the documentation]

> 	Brian

> brian@organic.com  brian@hyperreal.com  http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/

Mmm, I'm gunna shut up on this subject (Who's using Apache) for a week or so
while I get a better report written up.  More later.

Cheers,
Ay.

     Andrew Wilson	     URL: http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk/User/Andrew.Wilson/
Elsevier Science, Oxford   Office: +44 01865 843155    Mobile: +44 0589 616144