httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Patches to handle content-language
Date Tue, 18 Jul 1995 09:01:26 GMT
   From: Florent Guillaume

   > Note that the problem of namespace collision still exists with the CERN
   > behaviour : suppose the files you have are all 27 (not 9, BTW) variations of
   >
   > 	basename.[fr,txt,pdf].[en,fr,jp].[gz,Z,uu]
   >
   > Then how do we treat a request for "basename.fr.gz" ?  If we arrange to
   > have content-type > content-language, then this is a request for the
   > Framemaker version, in any language.  But then how do we ask for a
   > gziped French version of the document in any type available ?  It can be
   > done using an Accept-Language: fr header, and requesting "basename.gz",
   > but this is cheating, we want something in the URL only.

Hmmm... there seems to be a real can of worms here.  Still, this is an
oft-requested feature, for which we have code which *appears* to work,
and it would be a shame to leave it out.

Just to be sure that we're debating a real issue here (and that simply
mandating, or assuming, that all suffixes are in the same namespace,
which would solve the issue, really is an inviable option), are people
here actually using *.fr as a suffix for FrameMaker?  (The software
itself seems not to care, as far as I can tell).

rst