httpd-dev mailing list archives

From (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Those pesky .htaccess files
Date Thu, 13 Jul 1995 19:45:52 GMT
   Date: Thu, 13 Jul 95 15:18 BST
   From: (David Robinson)

   Does anyone actually rely on .htaccess files in directories above
   DocumentRoot? I would rather that was disabled, but perhaps with a
   compatability option.

The last time this came up, we found out that there were people like
that in the group (I dimly recall that there might have been some on

One reason for this is that in the old NCSA code, there are things
which work in a .htaccess file but *not* in a directory section, at
least if I read the code right.  There's none of that in Shambhala (in
Shambhala, the only difference between <Directory>...  </Directory>
and a .htaccess file in the directory is that AllowOverride
restrictions apply to the latter).

View raw message