httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Redirect problem
Date Wed, 12 Jul 1995 12:12:48 GMT
   From: Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
   Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 11:58:57 +0100 (BST)

   I'll even volunteer to write a new parser and sort out a decent config
   language while I'm at it. We can leave the old parser code there for now and
   select which parser to  use from looking at the configuration files and
   determining which one to use. That would allow us to maintain backward
   compatibilty with NSCA config files but develop our own layout and
   format in parallel. Easy to do, just need to find the time :-)

Hmmm... this is difficult in a Shambhala-style modular framework
because there cannot be a single configuration data structure which
can be consistency-checked as a whole --- instead, there are a group
of modules, each of which does translation on certain URIs, and the
user is free to add more at any time.  (This is the whole point of
having an API in the first place).

In fact, even with the standard module set, filename translation is
split between three different modules --- the CGI module handles
ScriptAlias, while the alias module handles plain Alias (and
Redirect), and the UserDir module handles /~ stuff.

(BTW, the Shambhala config code already is a total rewrite, and it is
pickier about certain forms of syntax errors than the original, as
some people who have tried it have already discovered).

rst