httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Shambhala0.6.0 nph script bug fix
Date Tue, 11 Jul 1995 09:57:57 GMT
   Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 20:42:01 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Matthew Gray <mkgray@netgen.com>

   NPH scripts weren't being properly handled...
   A few line patch is at: http://www.netgen.com/~mkgray/apache/mod_cgi.patch

Hmmm... could you say how they were being mishandled?  It may be
something which would pop up as well in other contexts, in which case
some more systemic fix would be appropriate.

(This patch inserts a wait() call to wait for the nph- CGI process,
but that wait() should be done anyway when the per-transaction
resource pool is cleared, the same way it is done for more ordinary
CGI scripts; in any case, on SunOS, invoking an nph- script through
stock 0.6.0 does not appear to generate zombies.  If zombies are
appearing anyway, perhaps on systems other than SunOS, it means that
the spawn_child() machinery is failing to mop them up, which should be
fixed by fixing the child-process stuff in alloc.c, rather than by
papering over the problem).

   How should patches be handled now?  Has there been any real resolution on
   Apache0.7/Shambhala0.x ???

I've generally been taking patches as they're sent to me, just taking
them out of the email and applying them directly to my sandbox in most
cases (so long as I understand what the bug is).  As to the name
thing, the next release of Shambhala may very well call itself Apache
0.8, barring serious objections.

rst