httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Sean Welch" <we...@wired.com>
Subject Re: arguments to cgi scripts in server side includes?
Date Tue, 11 Jul 1995 05:13:36 GMT
On Jul 10,  5:59pm, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> Subject: Re: arguments to cgi scripts in server side includes?
[...]
> More like "known behavior" --- scripts executed from SSI are given the
> QUERY_ARGS and PATH_INFO of the parent request, and so the URLs in the
> exec directives aren't allowed to have PATH_INFO or QUERY_ARGS of
> their own.
>
> One thing to try, in Shambhala, might be inclusion of CGI scripts
> (<!--#include virtual="/cgi-bin/foo"--> instead of <!--#exec-->).
> This probably doesn't work terribly well (and shouldn't work at all if
> IncludesNoExec is on), but it is at least possible that it can be made
> to do the job (giving the arguments as QUERY_ARGS ---
>
>    <!--#include virtual="/cgi-bin/foo?args+go+here"-->

This works as advertised, and so I'll be using it for now.  It's
tempting to go with <--#exec cmd="..." --> because then I don't
have to change my argument parsing code, but that would mean a
shell is forked/exec'd which then exec's my program instead of
just having my program forked/exec'd, right?

> NB, this is exploring some dark corners of the code which have seen
> very little serious testing yet, so tread with caution.

Will do.  I'll be sure to report any weirdness I find.

Sean Welch