httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Possible work this weekend...
Date Sat, 08 Jul 1995 11:03:41 GMT
   From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>

   One thing on my wish list before the release would be to get
   the logging system worked over.  I have a start on this,
   but will probably muddle through the weekend to get the
   configurability that we have all asked for. Has anyone else
   started looking at this end of the horse?

Hmmm... there already is at least one person who has simply written a
new logging module to get the logs in the format he wants.  (This is
Mark Cox, who's tracking click-trails based on Netscape cookies, and
needs the custom logger to log the cookies).

The only change to the current mod_common_log that I'm currently
thinking about is to support something like

   Transferlog "| /my/log-postprocessor -arg foo"

(NB the hard part of this is actually testing it, which would take
quite a bit more time than writing the code).

Beyond that, I'd like to see any new logging schemes supported as new
(optional) modules, unless there's a particularly good reason to merge
them into the existing mod_common_log code.  I'm also not sure it's a
good idea to rush headalong into this simply to have something to show
next week...  if we're doing something radical, we should probably toy
around with it first.  (There's likely to be a bugfix respin a few
weeks after the first Shambhala-based Apache release simply because
the code is not perfect; that would be a reasonable time to introduce
new optional modules).

Besides... design in haste, repent at leisure.

   As for the crude config script... I suppose that can't be written
   in perl....

Unfortunately, some mix of shell and perhaps (old) awk is the best we
can do and preserve the old NCSA code's portability.

rst