httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Shambhala
Date Sat, 01 Jul 1995 14:23:02 GMT
   From: Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>
   Date: Fri, 30 Jun 95 16:48:01 MDT

   Maybe it was rst's choice of phrases, such as "garage project" and
   it having a different name, maybe I didn't read his mailings
   thoroughly enough, maybe they weren't explicit enough,
   whatever.. I did not follow what rst was up to. I certainly didn't
   realise it was a reworked but functionally compatible
   NCSA type server (if I worded that badly, I hope you know what I was
   trying to say).

Sigh... I wish you would have looked...  (WRT the lingo, btw ---
"garage project" doesn't necessarily mean small, at least in my
lexicon; people do build airplanes in their garages.  It's just that
most of the people that start on something like that never finish; I
wasn't sure if, or when, I was going to be finished with my thing
either.  Sorry about any misunderstanding).

   It's a shame that nobody using Shambhala (who must have realised
   what was going on) didn't raise these issues weeks ago. I can only
   presume that rst was too modest to push Shambhala, or at least
   discussion of it, onto use more vigourously.

Hmmm... when I first put the code up for group viewing (which was
about as soon as I had code to show; it still didn't really work worth
a damn), I did describe it as "a direction... that the group might
want to pursue", and tried to talk up its virtues a bit.  I really
don't feel comfortable pushing something more aggressively than that.
Maybe that's a problem of mine; it certainly seems to have caused
trouble here.  Still, I had hoped people would take that as a cue to
at least look at the thing... maybe not.  (BTW, I do have this voice
in the back of my head which keeps reminding of how much I have to be
modest about... ;-).

Also, keep in mind the timing here... "the people using Shambhala"
have been me for a week and a half, and Mark and Randy for a week
less.  Scale your expectations accordingly...

   That said, and after looking at the code and trying (for a few minutes)
   it looks great, and I've no objection to switching to it.

Glad you like it.  Sorry about the other stuff...

rst