httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: inetd
Date Wed, 26 Jul 1995 22:04:39 GMT
Rob Hartill liltingly intones:

> >    From: Chuck Murcko <chuck@telebase.com>
> >    Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 15:20:09 -0400 (EDT)
> >
> >    I'll test this tonight. It's important that the ident client not hang if
> >    the remote machine has port 113 open, but never sends a response. I got
> >    bit on that one porting xinetd.
> >
> > Hmmm... I think the code has a 500-second timeout built into it.
> > That's a bit extravagant, but NCSA has the same...
>
> That 500 seconds looses lots of people behind firewalls where port
> 113 is restricted. Clients have a much shorter timeout than that, so
> lots of requests can be lossed beacause of this.

RFC 1413 suggests that IDENT client timeouts be at least 30 sec. To my
experience, anything over 60 sec. means I'm not going to see an answer
to my IDENT query. I set my client timeouts here to 30 sec., but would
go as high as 60 if I saw any sites trying to return IDENT data beyond
that. So far I haven't.

chuck
Chuck Murcko	Telebase Systems, Inc.	Wayne PA	chuck@telebase.com
And now, on a lighter note:
Accident, n.:
	A condition in which presence of mind is good, but absence of
body is better.