httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject new htpasswd
Date Wed, 26 Jul 1995 15:57:44 GMT
If anyone's thinking of writing a new htpasswd, then don't :-)

I've already written one but I'll spend another day cleaning it
up before passing it around. I could do with a few volunteers to
port it to non-4.4BSD systems though since I know of a few library
calls in 4.4 that I've used which are missing elsewhere.

They're really simple and can be replaced by fprintf's mostly.

Features:
1) file locking,
2) Requesting existing passwd before changing old.
3) Check for default password files in the following order
	i) Specified explicitly on the command line
	ii) A local passwd file i.e. in current directory
	iii) A default global passwd file -- I'd like some standard
		 Apache place for this, like the server-root/htpasswd ?
4) Changes the users passwd and checks authrity to change someone elses
   passwd.

Umm, on point 4). How exactly should this be done? I can just require too
access like a normal passwd changer but that's a bit excessive since you'd
want non-root www admins to be able to mess with the passwords.

Some of the above features I'm still working on obviously :-)

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul