httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject a point on config errors
Date Tue, 25 Jul 1995 21:09:15 GMT
This message came to me from a user on the big-linux list. I think the
subject of startup error reporting has already been discussed here, and
this is jsut a data point to check before release.

> I edited the httpd.conf file to add another virtual host which I had not yet
> added to my system configuration. I then did a kill -1 and lost the httpd
> without any idea of what was wrong. It would not restart due to the
> configuration error.
>
> (Details of dumb actions and momentary panic edited)
>
> After down-reving the .conf file and starting 0.6.5, I got an error message
> that let me fix the problem. With the bad .conf and 0.8.2, I sometimes got a
> cryptic Segmentation Fault message but I am not sure if that that came from
> the httpd or the kernel. Putting the .conf revs back and restarting 0.8.2
> put me back in operation.
>
> I thought that I would pass this along as the lack of an error message here
> can easily cause confusion.

chuck
Chuck Murcko	Telebase Systems, Inc.	Wayne PA	chuck@telebase.com
And now, on a lighter note:
Q:  How many Zen masters does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A:  None.  The Universe spins the bulb, and the Zen master stays out
    of the way.