httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: Redirect in .htaccess files?
Date Tue, 25 Jul 1995 12:48:28 GMT

Rob T writes,

> However, I am somewhat loath to let people set AbsMaxServers (or
> whatever) to 7 and think they've done themselves a favor.  As it is,
> they've still got the source code, and they can screw themselves if
> they really want to, but we haven't made it easy for them.

This isn't so much of a problem if (as I suggested to Rob), the
config file has guidelines in it.

I suggested something like

# AbsMaxServers
#   The absolute maximum number of processes that can be running.
#
#   You should not set this to anything below 50, unless you
#   understand that this has the potential to significantly limit the
#   number of concurrent requests being processed, resulting in new
#   requests failing to make connections with the server.
#
#   If you find that AbsMaxServer processes are active for prolonged
#   times, then you should consider increasing it.
AbsMaxServer 50

I don't believe that protecting people from screwing themselves is
a good enough reason to limit the useability of the server. At the
moment we don't know what the best settings are for people to use. Unless
we have full control over the configuration, it's difficult to experiment.

rob
--
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/