httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: Redirect in .htaccess files?
Date Tue, 25 Jul 1995 17:50:08 GMT
Rob Hartill liltingly intones:

> > Redirect in .htaccess files is one fairly slick convenience feature
> > which NCSA 1.5 has, which could be added to Apache 0.8.x with very
> > little trouble.  Given that the redirect code isn't terribly
> > ticklish, and that it's very easy to test, it's tempting to break
> > the freeze for it... thoughts?
>
> It'd be nice to get into a patch'n'vote routine again. We're already
> over a week after the date a few people wanted to release, and there's
> still some things that need to be sorted out. (I'm currently very
> uncomfortable with the current StartServers/MaxServers algorithm).
>
> -1 new features
> +1 concentrating on stabalising and releasing what we have.

I'll decrement new features to -2, and increment stab/rel to +2.

Rob, are you uncomfortable about the 150 process hard limit? I've thought
about a time-to-sleep parameter, and a configurable hard maximum of overload
(short-lived) processes.

StartServers is then the number of servers started, and also the number of
servers sleeping on a quiescent system.

MaxServers is then an upper limit on total number of long-lived (but not
permanent) servers that can be forked as load increases. It could also be
the sum of StartServers and long-lived servers, as it is now. These
servers would have a configurable lifetime (time-to-sleep parameter).

AbsMaxServers (or something like that) could be servers with either a fixed
or configurable, and presumably much shorter, time-to-sleep, or could retain
the current forking behavior, handling one connect each. This would replace
the hardwired 150 child limit.

This allows some of the following to be configured:

StartServers: 1
MaxServers: 1
AbsMaxServers: 10

behaves like an old-style forking server, for those with limited resources.

StartServers: 10
MaxServers: 50
AbsMaxServers: 100

behaves more like a reasonably loadable Apache 0.7.x.

Both the above configs can still be throttled (AbsMaxServers) to taste.
Whether they are appropriate for stabilizing 0.8.x or better for the next
release, I'll leave up to the group. Whether both MaxServers and
AbsMaxServers each get a time-to-sleep parameter is a question for
discussion. My own feeling is that the last thing I'd want is for the
server to start using forking behavior again just when it's getting to
peak load conditions.

I think this also sounds similar to what Rob McCool said the NetSite folks
were thinking of doing.

chuck
Chuck Murcko	Telebase Systems, Inc.	Wayne PA	chuck@telebase.com
And now, on a lighter note:
Democracy is good.  I say this because other systems are worse.
		-- Jawaharlal Nehru