httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: namelookups and databases
Date Tue, 25 Jul 1995 09:00:32 GMT

> HaHa! <-(PeeWee Herman laugh)
>
> I've been attempting to shove my log data into Postgres and am
> coming to a sobering realization. It has taken 9 hours to process
> 15,000 requests.....

What are you running it on, a 8086 PC ?

There's something really wrong if it is taking that long.
Is it reindexing on each entry ?.. that'd be a braindead approach.

> As I am in the process of discovering that
> much of that time is spent doing gethostbyaddr() for each entry.
> A subsequent reload without doing lookups is ontrack to be done
> in 2 hours.

That's still really slow.

It shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes of perl time to
swallow a *100,000* request access log and be ready to do some neat
tricks with it.

What exactly are you doing with the data ?

rob
--
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/