httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: Correct to log query args with URL?
Date Sun, 23 Jul 1995 22:01:57 GMT

> > I just noticed that we are logging the query arguments when loggin a URL.
> > Is this correct?
>

> It's standard CLF practise to do so isn't it ?, or are you
> talking about something other than QUERY_STRING ?

No, I *am* talking about QUERY_STRING.  This seems kind of ..er
*stupid*....

Anyway, in case anyones interested, I hacked a new version of the
logger, that is *not* configurable, but suits my needs a bit better.
I am under the gun to start getting some accounting in place and
am taking the short route. I wrote a script to convert from CLF to
my new format and just realized that the QUERY_STRING is being logged
as part of the request in CLF.  *sigh*

I have ditched the idea of talking directly to a database or logging
daemon.  It creates way to fragile an environment to depend on.
Using the filesystem to cache this is much safer.