httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: Stuff for 0.8.2...
Date Thu, 20 Jul 1995 16:36:00 GMT
Robert S. Thau liltingly intones:

> As to the freeze --- I meant it more as a suggestion than a command, but I
> do think it's a very good idea... we do seem to be having a little trouble
> reaching closure (for which I'm to blame as much as anyone); I think the
> time has probably come to just fix whatever's clearly broken in whatever
> we've got, and then ship it.

0.8.2 has passed overnight tests at 1.6 million hits/day in my sandbox at
home. These are just brute force, basic functionality (html/gif/jpg trans-
fers), but they serve to validate core server is not leaking anything or
going into deep space. This test is running on FreeBSD 2.0.5 on a 486DX2/80,
and these are the relevant configs:

StartServers 8
MaxServers 16
MaxRequestsPerChild 0

(Currently, at 12 hours into test, only 11 children are running)

As for system config:

listen() backlog: 32 <---16 is probably enough, at this connect rate
maxusers: 20 <---this drives NPROC and # of mbuf clusters, among other
                       things, for FreeBSD and other BSD 4.4 derviatives.

This is basically just a sustained 20 connects/sec test. Now, if only
Netscape 1.1 wouldn't leak at 4 pages/minute, so I have to restart it
every 8 hours. 8^(

Looks good so far.

Solaris and BSDI test data later...

chuck
Chuck Murcko	Telebase Systems, Inc.	Wayne PA	chuck@telebase.com
And now, on a lighter note:
	No violence, gentlemen -- no violence, I beg of you! Consider
the furniture!
		-- Sherlock Holmes