httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Roy Fielding <field...@beach.w3.org>
Subject Re: Patches to handle content-language
Date Tue, 18 Jul 1995 23:11:22 GMT
>Why not use the locale naming scheme (there's a standard for this somewhere),
>e.g. from FreeBSD's locale directory,
>
>da_DK.ISO8859-1@        fi_FI.ISO8859-1@        lt_LN.ISO8859-1/
>de_AT.ISO8859-1@        fr_BE.ISO8859-1@        nl_BE.ISO8859-1@
>de_CH.ISO8859-1@        fr_CA.ISO8859-1@        nl_NL.ISO8859-1@
>de_DE.ISO8859-1@        fr_CH.ISO8859-1@        no_NO.ISO8859-1@
>en_AU.ISO8859-1@        fr_FR.ISO8859-1@        pt_PT.ISO8859-1@
>en_CA.ISO8859-1@        is_IS.ISO8859-1@        ru_SU.CP866/
>en_GB.ISO8859-1@        it_CH.ISO8859-1@        ru_SU.KOI8-R/
>en_US.ISO8859-1@        it_IT.ISO8859-1@        sv_SE.ISO8859-1@
>es_ES.ISO8859-1@        ja_JP.EUC/
>
>Obviously you just use the country code as in
>
>basename.fr.fr_CA.gz
>
>which is a French gzipped framemaker document. Don't ask me what these
>codes stand for, I know the en_* ones of course, en_GB is British
>English, en_US is US English etc.

The first two characters are the ISO 639:1988 "Code for the representation
of names of languages".  The underscore is a common Unix convention for
Locale names.  The next two characters are the ISO 3166, A2 abbreviation
for country codes.  After the "." is the character encoding (known to HTTP
as charset="iso-8859-1").

Note, however, that the WWW will be using the language tags defined
by RFC 1766 (similar, but not quite the same).

 ....Roy T. Fielding  Department of ICS, University of California, Irvine USA
                      Visiting Scholar, MIT/LCS + World-Wide Web Consortium
                      (fielding@w3.org)                (fielding@ics.uci.edu)