httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: Patches to handle content-language
Date Tue, 18 Jul 1995 10:26:15 GMT

> Note that the problem of namespace collision still exists with the CERN
> behaviour : suppose the files you have are all 27 (not 9, BTW) variations of
>
> 	basename.[fr,txt,pdf].[en,fr,jp].[gz,Z,uu]
>
> Then how do we treat a request for "basename.fr.gz" ?  If we arrange to
> have content-type > content-language, then this is a request for the
> Framemaker version, in any language.  But then how do we ask for a
> gziped French version of the document in any type available ?  It can be
> done using an Accept-Language: fr header, and requesting "basename.gz",
> but this is cheating, we want something in the URL only.

Why not use the locale naming scheme (there's a standard for this somewhere),
e.g. from FreeBSD's locale directory,

da_DK.ISO8859-1@        fi_FI.ISO8859-1@        lt_LN.ISO8859-1/
de_AT.ISO8859-1@        fr_BE.ISO8859-1@        nl_BE.ISO8859-1@
de_CH.ISO8859-1@        fr_CA.ISO8859-1@        nl_NL.ISO8859-1@
de_DE.ISO8859-1@        fr_CH.ISO8859-1@        no_NO.ISO8859-1@
en_AU.ISO8859-1@        fr_FR.ISO8859-1@        pt_PT.ISO8859-1@
en_CA.ISO8859-1@        is_IS.ISO8859-1@        ru_SU.CP866/
en_GB.ISO8859-1@        it_CH.ISO8859-1@        ru_SU.KOI8-R/
en_US.ISO8859-1@        it_IT.ISO8859-1@        sv_SE.ISO8859-1@
es_ES.ISO8859-1@        ja_JP.EUC/

Obviously you just use the country code as in

basename.fr.fr_CA.gz

which is a French gzipped framemaker document. Don't ask me what these
codes stand for, I know the en_* ones of course, en_GB is British
English, en_US is US English etc.

Just an idea, I doubt you'd get namespace collision using those
codes though.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul