httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <>
Subject Re: Redirect problem
Date Wed, 12 Jul 1995 17:34:10 GMT
> The problem is only with the order in which Redirect/Alias/ScriptAlias
> are *acted* upon. The order of the entires in the config file(s) has
> no bearing on this problem.

Well, if we decide we want the config order to determine priority then
parsing does have a bearing on this.

> In the above, (1) is easy to do; 0.6.5 does it.
> Redirects are mostly used to map established URLs to other servers, so
> one needs to tolerate superfluous ScriptAlaias and Alias entries,
> n.b. the redirect might be temporary. Removing the Redirect should be enough
> to restore old behaviour.

There's still a case for doing the aliases first so that if you redirect
a page, any aliases you have pointed to it will get redirected too.

This is one of those areas where compatibilty is a problem since
I think there's good reason to sit down and decide what the correct
way to do this is but that wil almost certainly break some
configurations, just like it broke Cardiff's.

  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1222 457651 (home)

View raw message