httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: Redirect problem
Date Wed, 12 Jul 1995 17:34:10 GMT

> The problem is only with the order in which Redirect/Alias/ScriptAlias
> are *acted* upon. The order of the entires in the config file(s) has
> no bearing on this problem.

Well, if we decide we want the config order to determine priority then
parsing does have a bearing on this.

> In the above, (1) is easy to do; 0.6.5 does it.
>
> Redirects are mostly used to map established URLs to other servers, so
> one needs to tolerate superfluous ScriptAlaias and Alias entries,
> n.b. the redirect might be temporary. Removing the Redirect should be enough
> to restore old behaviour.

There's still a case for doing the aliases first so that if you redirect
a page, any aliases you have pointed to it will get redirected too.

This is one of those areas where compatibilty is a problem since
I think there's good reason to sit down and decide what the correct
way to do this is but that wil almost certainly break some
configurations, just like it broke Cardiff's.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul