httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: Redirect problem
Date Wed, 12 Jul 1995 10:51:31 GMT

Brian Behlendorf  said

> Isn't this a matter of parsing order?  I.e., is shambala expanding *all*
> ScriptAlias directives before Redirects, or is it simply the case that
> because the ScriptAlias came after the Redirect for the same resource,
> the latter had precedence?

Paul Richards responded

> Hmm, needs some thought this since I can see merit in a number of
> different ways to go.
>
> 1) Parse all redirects first
> 	-- Gets the client off your server asap.
> 2) Parse aliases first, you can have a redirect for a particalar
>    page and any other pages that are aliased to that area will follow
>    the redirect.
> 3) Parse them in the order they occur in the config file, gives the
>    admin free reign.

The problem is only with the order in which Redirect/Alias/ScriptAlias
are *acted* upon. The order of the entires in the config file(s) has
no bearing on this problem.

In the above, (1) is easy to do; 0.6.5 does it.

Redirects are mostly used to map established URLs to other servers, so
one needs to tolerate superfluous ScriptAlaias and Alias entries,
n.b. the redirect might be temporary. Removing the Redirect should be enough
to restore old behaviour.

rob
--
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/