httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: Redirect problem [Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>] (fwd)
Date Wed, 12 Jul 1995 16:15:38 GMT

>    I wouldn't put NCSA compatibilty too high on the list. What will make
>    people switch to  Apache is the fact that it's doing things right.
>
> Maybe for you, and for a few people like you.  However, I suspect a
> whole lot of people will be more interested in compatibility than in
> anyone's strict notion of "correctness" --- heck, look at the behavior
> of the people on this list.  For the most part, it's the *ultimate*
> early-adopter crowd, and yet I had trouble getting people to even look
> at Shambhala until it emulated enough of the old behavior that it
> could be dropped in to peoples' existing setups.

Well, there's three issues of compatibilty:

1) Feature list -- I'd expect to be able to anything I could do with
my old server.

2) Configuration files -- It's nice that my old NCSA/Apache files "just
work" but if we stick with this compatibilty issue then we'll just keep
hacking more and more extensions to it until it becomes impossible to
understand and maintain.

A new config format is needed.

3) Same behaviour for undefined situations --  this is the difficult one
and where I'd say doing things "right" is better than keeping old bugs.
Otherwise why bother using Apache? I might as well stick with NCSA if
Apache is just another server that gets it wrong :-)

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul