httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject authentication
Date Tue, 11 Jul 1995 14:13:39 GMT

Thinking more about my authentication via algorithm requirements, what's
needed is a way for a script to ask apache to authenticate from 3
pieces of information,

  1) name
  2) password
  3) acceptable name(s)

(3) could be the current "Type" or "Realm", or in my case, the
username I expect to see for this URL.

So what would happen would be,

  - user hits a URL (CGI) which tells Apache to request authentication
      based on a realm/type of the scripts choosing.
  - apache sends HTTP response to client to request name/password.
  - apache gives name/password/realm to a per directory configurable
      authentication module or external program.
  - module or program returns 1 or 0, where 1 = authenticated.

Maybe one of you people who use authentication can mould this into an
acceptable form.

rob
--
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/