httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <>
Subject Re: Possible work this weekend...
Date Sat, 08 Jul 1995 15:59:04 GMT
>    From: Randy Terbush <>
>    the logging system worked over.  I have a start on this,
>    but will probably muddle through the weekend to get the
>    configurability that we have all asked for. Has anyone else
>    started looking at this end of the horse?
> Hmmm... there already is at least one person who has simply written a
> new logging module to get the logs in the format he wants.  (This is
> Mark Cox, who's tracking click-trails based on Netscape cookies, and
> needs the custom logger to log the cookies).
> The only change to the current mod_common_log that I'm currently
> thinking about is to support something like
>    Transferlog "| /my/log-postprocessor -arg foo"

I have this working as soon as I figure out spawn_child() syntax.

> (NB the hard part of this is actually testing it, which would take
> quite a bit more time than writing the code).
> Beyond that, I'd like to see any new logging schemes supported as new
> (optional) modules, unless there's a particularly good reason to merge
> them into the existing mod_common_log code.  I'm also not sure it's a
> good idea to rush headalong into this simply to have something to show
> next week...  if we're doing something radical, we should probably toy
> around with it first.  (There's likely to be a bugfix respin a few
> weeks after the first Shambhala-based Apache release simply because
> the code is not perfect; that would be a reasonable time to introduce
> new optional modules).

The approach I am pursuing is the above Transferlog changes you
suggested, and an additional config parameter LogFormat that would
default to CLF.  My biggest programming obstacle here is working
out the various tags for IP, date, bytes sent, etc. and optional fields.
Mark had suggested some tags in the past that were common to zsh,
I believe, that seemed reasonable to use. I also would like to allow
the ability to add Headers into the format as RobH has requested.

This has been a high priority on my personal agenda for some time.
I have managed to slot the time today to dig into this seriously.
Feedback and code-snipits welcome.  I understand that this may
not make it into the first release cut.

View raw message