httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <>
Subject Re: Shambhala Modules Musings [network wizard advice sought at bottom]
Date Mon, 03 Jul 1995 10:21:43 GMT
rst writes,
> The easiest way to fix this is to change the way that timeouts are
> handled.  Here's one idea --- instead of doing an immediate longjmp(),
> just put the connection in an "aborted" state where the server will
> refuse to do any more I/O on it.  (The easiest thing would be to just
> close the file descriptor).
> In fact, if I can safely assume that no sensible Unix-oid OS will
> attempt to restart I/O on a socket when a SIGALRM handler returns,
> this would allow me to ditch the longjmp() from the handling of client
> aborts.  If that assumption is good, I'm going to try this (next
> weekend at the latest).

It might sound like an easy way out, but 0.7 would have a child
which hits a timeout/broken connection exit after logging it... It's
not as elegant as closing everything down and starting again, but
at least one doesn't have to worry about handling the signals in a
portable fashion.

My Unix guru friend says that anything other than a longjump from
a signal handler is prone to portability problems. If you do the
longjump, it has to do all the cleaning up.

An exit() after a timeout/broken connection shouldn't cause any
real efficiency problems.. At Cardiff they come in at a rate of
1 for every 30+ connections.. many of the children still manage to
reach their MaxRequestsPerChild (60 in this example) without hitting one.

As for the config problem Rob asked for more info on..

I removed the offending line (it wasn't being used for anything) so
I no longer have the exact line, but here's the problem..

Shambhala says,

"AddType takes two arguments, a mime type followed by a file extension"

Shouldn't it allow things like

AddType text/html; charset=ISO-8859 html
AddType text/html; html htm

But the question remains,

  is "charset=ISO-8859" a parameter or a file extension ?

maybe ""s should be allowed (to remove ambiguity)

AddType "text/html; charset=ISO-8859" html

Also, if AddType is meant to be equivalent to entries in mime.types, then
it needs to accept multiple file extensions

AddType image/gif; gif GIF
AddType test/html; html htm

Now might also be a good time to encourage the omission of "." from
the extensions... it'll mean a slight divergence from what's allowed
in 1.3, but the "." isn't supposed to be there... a well worded warning
message would probably suffice.

A bug fix..
  http_main.c    clen=sizeof(sa_client);
                 clen=sizeof(struct sockaddr_in)